Friday, May 25, 2012

Race Day!

So Race Day was last Saturday. I couldn't have asked for better weather and my bike was fixed up (at the start of the race anyway). We woke the gummybear up bright 'n' early to head out to American Fork about 45min away, packed with all my gear as well as hers. Whodathunk we could fill the car when we were just going out for the morning!

Marked up and ready to go. All in purple (including nails)
 and with my ribbon on my arm!

 I was so nervous before the start, I got all my bike and run gear together in the transition area and went out to meet back up with Jim and Annabelle (who I swear was eating every time I saw her that morning!). GB laughed at me while I was warming up, a lot, which calmed me down quite a bit. Then it was time to line up by the pool. It was self seeding so everyone went around going "what is your average time on the swim". I was generally a 5:30 but put myself with the 6's so that I would hopefully not have to pass anyone in the narrow lane with someone comin down next to you in the other half of the lane.


Boy was that swim chaotic! There were still a bazillion people in front of me to start and there were gals breast and back-stroking in the pool. Don't get me wrong, if that is your stroke of choice all the power to ya, buuuut let's be real, your time is not 4-5min for that swim breast-stroking. In any case, my turn came and off I go. And yep had to pass LOTS of people. This was a good thing, as I was swimmin my butt off but kinda stressful too. So in the end my swim time was ~7min for 300m, not great but I had to slow down and breast stroke for a while to get around people in the middle.

Crazy swim. I got my arm out of the water

Oh them jacked up gears! Holdin' em
in place
Next was the bike, 2 loops around this cute lil neighborhood, 1 giant hill and the rest flat or downhill. It was a great ride and my time was ~48min for 12.75mi! It was kind of funny towards the top of the big hill because EVERYONE was slowing waaaay down and there was this bottle-necking effect, musta looked crazy. My gears got jacked up again in the middle of my second loop but thankfully I was already up the giant hill.


And finally the run, no gear just off the bike and go! It feels weird if you ever try it some time and when I do my next race I totally need to work on this transition because of that feeling. My run was decent, I had to power walk up that giant hill but afterwards someone found me and told me that I kept them going because I was still quickly workin my way up, even though I wasn't running at that moment. My run time ended up being 28min for about 2.9mi

Almost there, don't die yet!

So overall my time was ~1:29, I finished faaaar from the bottom and in the upper half of all the gals that finished. I was so proud of myself, I actually did it! Annabelle was chillin the whole time in her stroller and cheering me on. Even after I was done and we were just sitting around on the grass she would randomly start clapping and say "Yeah mama, yeah!" What a great cheerleader and motivator.




Most importantly, I was able to raise $700 for CHASA throughout stroke awareness month. Thank you so so so much to everyone who donated to my streak. It means the world to me to have your support and to know that each and every person loves and wants the best for Annabelle as well!


My biggest cheerleader and the reason for it all!


No comments:

Post a Comment